Nikon SLR Cameras

Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS T6?

Matt
Matt

I'm wanting to upgrade from my Canon sx530 and these are the two cameras I'm considering. I'm still relatively new at photography, so if anyone who has some more knowledge of could give me some more general insight into this I'd really appreciate it!

qrk
qrk

If you have friends with DSLRs, I would get the same manufacturer they are using. This allows you to play with each other's lenses and accessories.

Otherwise, either model will work and the differences will be the ergonomics of the controls. Both will give similar quality with a small tonal difference out of the box if shooting JPEG. You can adjust tonal qualities in the menus to suit your taste. If you like shooting video with a DSLR, then the Canon may be a better choice and you may want to get the model that has a mic input.

Sony and Pentax are also good contenders.

keerok
keerok

All dSLRs are good. You can use any dSLR to shoot anything. All are difficult to use to the beginner but there's always Auto mode. The cheapest ones are the hardest to use even if you already know what you're doing. Those two are some of the cheapest ones. If you can afford higher, I advise you to do so. Aim at least for a Nikon D7x00 series, a 2-digit Canon series, or any Pentax.

Land-shark
Land-shark

You will already be familiar with the Canon menu structure.
I think the Nikon has a better control layout once you get used to it and the image quality can be marginally better.

Getting the same brand as friends and family have, as already mentioned, can often be helpful. Mid range (Canon 80D and Nikon D7***) are actually nicer to use and their viewfinders, based on a real glass pentaprism rather than cheaper tunnel-like mirrors, are way better.

Before upgrading, seriously work out if you might actually end up leaving a DSLR at home too often. If that's the case look at the little Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras which still have DSLR size sensors. There are also the 1" sensor compacts like the Canon G5X which will be significanlty better than what you already have.

retiredPhil
retiredPhil

I would like to nudge you up one level. The Nikon D5600 and the Canon EOS T7i are better buys in the long run. They have some features you will appreciate after you use them for a while that the entry level cameras do not have.

If it is a budget issue, I suggest buying used from keh.com or any other reputable dealer.

Shivam
Shivam

It's a matter of personal choice. Both are excellent cameras. I recommend checking out the local availability of lenses and accessories and also find out about the location of nearest authorised service centre before making up your mind.

The link below might interest you