Nikon SLR Cameras

Sony a55, nikon d5000, or canon t21?

Tiffany
Tiffany

I'm looking to buy a new camera and can't decide between the the 3.It seems after each review I read I change my mind. I'm looking for the best image quality and will be taking photos of children and family. I would like something to take great pictures on it's on but will allow me to also learn photography with it. I also considered the nikon d90 but it was just to big and seemed like more of a mans camera. The sony a55 is at the top of my list right now after I have read alot of great reviews, and it is newer than the nikon.

Never Sony, Nikon for definition, Cannon for consistency over range.

Jeroen Wijnands
Jeroen Wijnands

I'd never buy a DSLR with an electronic viewfinder. For me that defeats the purpose of such a camera. I'm surprised that nikon's d3100 is not on your list.

Jack F
Jack F

You are right to have the Sony A55 at the top of your list. The image quality and ISO performance pretty much matches the Nikon D7000 which is MUCH more expensive and a Nikon flagship camera. This is because that most Nikon dSLRs actually have a Sony sensor in them.

As you can see, there's a lot of anti-Sony comment here, unfortunately you will get this from people that have never used a Sony, never mind the latest A55. The Sony A55 is actually BETTER image quality and performance than the old Nikon D90 you looked at.

Also have a look at the Sony A580, which has the same sensor as the A55 but has an Optical View Finder instead of the Electronic View Finder.

Simply put, the A55 has a large 100% coverage view finder, the best image quality, fastest frame rate performance and fastest video autofocus performance in its class. It does HDR and has a great panorama function.

Nikon and Canon users hate the fact that Canon and Nikon are suddenly looking old compared to the A55 and I will get some thumb downs for saying it.

Elisabeth
Elisabeth

I'm in much the same boat as you. I thought that I wanted the Nikon D90. Was looking at reviews & prices… Was ready to buy it. Went to my local camera shop (for hands on experience and professional opinion) and was introduced to the Sony A55. I currently have a Sony A200 and am not impressed with the flash (the A55 is much better as far as I can tell). I got an external flash for the A200 and have been happy with shots ever since (my subjects are mainly my three young children w/indoor shots). My camera fell and broke the hot shoe and flash, hence I'm in the market for a new one. I don't want to have it repaired. The other complaint I have with the Sony A200 is the lack of speed. Seems like they have this problem licked with the 10fps on the A55! I have read many reviews of the Sony A55 and am leaning toward it, but still have that nagging feeling of worry. It's a lot of money to spend and we (my husband and I) don't plan to purchase another camera for MANY years to come. I plan to go back to my local camera shop and see if they will print some photos from it. That will really help me come to a conclusion about what I want to purchase. Good luck with your decision making process. My overall suggestion: Go to a local shop (even if you don't plan to purchase from them) and see if you can get a feel for the cameras and if they will print any sample shots for you. I admit, the cost at the local shop is about the same as online for me and I will make my eventual purchase there.